Jul 11, 2012

Pumpkin Donuts



Last week I made some super yummy pumpkin donuts and I was so excited about how well they turned out that I, of course, knew I had to share them with you! These were not challenging or requiring of tons of weird ingredients. That is, once you go gluten free, there isn't much left that sounds weird! ☺

My version is inspired by this recipe. I experimented with my own flours and substitutions to come up with this:

Pumpkin Donuts (gluten free and dairy free)
Dry Ingredients
1/4 c. brown rice flour
3 T. sorghum flour
3 T. white rice flour
2 T. potato starch (not flour)
2 T. cornstarch
1/3 c. + 1 T. organic sugar crystals
1 t. aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 t. Real salt
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
Wet Ingredients
1 large egg
1/3 c. unsweetened almond milk (or other milk substitute)
1 1/2 t. extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
2 t. vanilla
2 1/2 T. pumpkin puree
Topping Ingredients
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 T. organic sugar crystals

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a six-cup donut pan with Spectrum shortening. In a shallow bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar for the topping of the donuts; set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Sift into another mixing bowl. Use the first mixing bowl, to whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Fill each donut-cup 2/3 full. Bake for 8 minutes.

Cool for 5 minutes and remove donuts. Roll the tops in the cinnamon/sugar topping and place donuts on a cooling rack. I got a total of 9 donuts which we devoured in one sitting between all five of us!

Wow. We really enjoyed these little treats! We are definitely having these again real soon. You know, because I do just happen to have an open can of pumpkin in my fridge now... ☺

♥Shari


Beautiful Thursdays


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!